If your stuck at home due to virus and have no eggs and a beetroot hanging around this recipe is perfect for you. You can use any flour you have lying around. It really does curb sweet cravings and will go down a treat with the whole family. The beetroot makes it gooey and rich so you only need a small square with a nice cuppa (tea would be my choice. It is easy to make and you can freeze it down too, mine didn’t last long enough.
Ingredients (12 squares)
- 1 medium beetroot
- 35g cocoa powder
- 130g whole wheat flour (any flour will do)
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder (leave this is using self raising flour)
- Pinch of sea salt
- 250g natural yoghurt
- 110g sugar (I used unrefined brown sugar)
- 85g oil, I used coconut but you can use olive or sunflower
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste or extract
- Bring a pan of water to the boil. Leaving the beetroot whole and with skin. Add to the pan bring to the boil then simmer covered for 25-30 minutes. It should be soft when a fork is inserted. Drain and leave to cool.
- Pre heat oven to 180 degrees (fan). While the beetroot is cooling measure out and sieve the cocoa powder, flour, bicarbonate, baking powder and salt into a mixing bowl and set aside.
- The beetroot should be cool enough to handle. Cut off the top and root of the beetroot, peel off the skin with a spoon. Roughly chop into cubes, blitz the beetroot with a splash of water to form a paste, you can check photo for texture.
- In a separate bowl, add the yoghurt and sugar. Blend with a whisk until sugar dissolves and it’s light and fluffy. Next add the oil in a steady flow with the electric whisk still going on the lowest speed, so the oil is well incorporated.
- Next add the vanilla and beetroot purée and give it another light whisk to combine.
- Once all the wet ingredients are combined add in the sieved dry ingredients. Fold lightly making sure you don’t over beat.
- You should have a pouring batter consistently pour it in to a lined or greased baking tray. Bake in the oven for 40 minutes.
- Leave to cool then cut into squares. Enjoy 😋