As the summer was late and hot this year I still have some tomatoes left. They aren’t as sweet as they are in the height of summer so cooking them is a good idea. I had some tortilla wraps left over from my work lunches so decided to have a go at my my own as I find the supermarket ones oily and salty. They worked so well as I use seeded wraps, it makes it healthier. Who doesn’t like the flavours of pizza? This really elevates the dish as it uses homemade nachos and tomato sauce all finished off with yummy melted cheese. Yum!
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 3 tortilla wraps cut into triangles
- 3 medium tomatoes
- 1 tbsp oregano or basil, chopped
- 1/2 tsp sea salt and black pepper
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1/4 tsp tomato purée
- 1/2 tsp caster sugar (if needed)
- 60g cheddar, grated
- Jarred sliced jalapeños peppers, optional.
- pre heat oven to 200 degrees fan. Place the tortilla triangles onto a baking sheet lined with great proof paper. Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes making sure they don’t burn. Once done let them cool and crisp up on a wire rack, I did mine in batches.
- To make the tomato sauce, peel and de seed the tomatoes (see tip). Roughly chop. Place a medium pan over the heat add the tomatoes, bring to the boil then simmer for about 5 minutes so the tomatoes reduce. Add the herbs, seasoning chilli flakes and tomato purée. Have a taste and add the sugar if needed. Simmer for a further 5 minutes. Keep on a low heat with lid on to keep warm.
- Heat the grill to high. Share the nachos between 2 serving plates, spoon over the tomato sauce and sprinkle over cheese and jalapeño if using. Grill for 1-2 minutes or until the cheese has melted. Enjoy.
Tip: to peel the tomatoes, slice a cross at the base of the tomato. Boil a kettle full of water. Place the tomatoes in a bowl and pour over the boiling water. Leave for around 5 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water so you can handle them. You should now be able to easily peel from the crossed area.