I adore carrots this time of year and roasting them is one of my favourite things. Something magical happens when carrots and cumin combine their flavours. The fresh citrus flavour from the orange and coolness from the tahini makes this salad really special. The textures are really nice too and the caramelisation on the carrots are so yummy.
Ingredients (serves 2)
For the carrots
- 1 bunch of carrots, cleaned but not peeled
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
For the salad
- small bag of rocket leaves
- 1 blood orange, segmented
- 100g good quality feta cheese
- 1 tbsp black and white sesame seeds, toasted
For the tahini dressing
- 2 tbsp tahini paste
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 1/2 tbsp cider vinegar
- juice of half lemon
- pinch of salt
- 1-2 tbsp of water
- Pre heat the oven to 200 degrees fan.
- Bring a pan of water to the boil. Add the carrots and simmer for 5 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water. Add the carrots to a bowl add the olive oil, cumin, salt and chilli flakes. Rub all over to coat the carrots evenly.
- Place the carrots on a lined baking tray and roast for 40 minutes or until they start to brown and are soft in the middle.
- Make the dressing by adding all of the ingredients into a jar or bowl. Shake or whisk well to combine. Set aside.
- To serve the salad, share the rocket leaves between 2 serving bowls, add the carrots and orange segments, crumb over the feta and spoon over the dressing, finish off with a sprinkle of the toasted sesame seeds.