I love proper corned beef, the spices really penetrate the meat and it also just melts in your mouth. The Chicory or endives do need a sprinkle a sugar and caramelisation as the leaves are so bitter. The walnuts add a nice crunch and you get a citrusy sweet flavour from the pomegranate molasses.
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 250g of corned beef (recipe here)
- 2 chicory, cut in half
- good pinch of caster sugar, sea salt and fresh black pepper
- drizzle of olive oil
- small bag of rocket leaves
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 1/2 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- handful of walnuts, toasted
- Heat a griddle pan over a medium heat. Drizzle some olive oil over the chicory halves. Sprinkle with some salt, pepper and sugar. Rub all over so they are fully coated. Place the chicory halves sliced side down and griddle for about 5 minutes until caramelised. Flip over the chicory slices and griddle for a couple more minutes. Set aside.
- Make the dressing by adding the 2 tbsp of olive oil, garlic clove and pomegranate molasses.
- Serve by sharing the rocket leaves between 2 serving bowls. Add the griddled chicory and corned beef. Drizzle over the dressing and finish with a sprinkling over walnuts.