I am always looking for new ways of using feta and had a go at this one. I always see recipes for roasted chickpeas so thought I would try it using cannellini beans. It adds a really nice texture. The feta adds a really nice saltiness and the dressing add loads of flavour.
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 1 tin of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 small bag of salad leaves, I used rocket
- 100g of feta
- 1/2 shallot, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- juice of half lemon
- 2 tbsp raisins
- 2 tbsp capers, drained
- 1/4 preserve lemon, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp basil leaves, roughly chopped
- pinch brown sugar, if needed to sweeten dressing slightly
- fresh cracked pepper and sea salt
- Pre heat oven to 180 degrees fan. Place a layer of grease proof paper on a baking sheet. Drain and rinse the cannellini beans (can reserve the juice to make mayo). Tip the beans on the tray, season with salt and pepper and a drizzle of oil. Bake for 15 minutes until crispy.
- In a small saucepan add a 1/2 tbsp of olive oil and heat over a medium heat, Add the shallots and cook for 5 minutes stirring until they are softened. Add the rest of the oil, lemon juice, raisins, preserved lemons and capers. Taste and add sugar if necessary and season to taste. Cook for a further couple of minutes. Add the chopped basil and set aside.
- Assemble the salad by sharing the salad leaves between to serving bowls. Add the roasted cannellini beans. Crumb over the feta and finish off with dressing. Enjoy.