I love a good sausage (no pun’s please!) They make a cheap quick tasty dinner for mid-week. Having cannellini beans reminds me of baked beans and sausage for breakfast but better. This casserole is so tasty sometimes simple is best and this is one of those occasions, comfort food at its best.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 8 good quality sausages (your favourite flavour)
- 80g pancetta or bacon lardons
- 1 medium onion, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 300ml chicken stock
- 2 tbsp sun dried tomato or normal tomato paste
- 1 tbsp worcester sauce
- 1 tbsp dark brown muscovado sugar
- 1 tsp herbs de provence
- 1 tin of cannellini
- sea salt and fresh black pepper to taste
- olive oil for frying
- Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large frying pan that has a lid and fry the sausages gently for 10 minutes, turning every now and then until nicely browned all over. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Fry the lardon’s in the frying pan until they begin to brown and crisp then add to the sausages.
- Place the onions in the frying pan and fry over a medium heat for five minutes until they start to soften, stirring often. You should have enough fat in the pan, but if not, add a little more oil.
- Add the garlic and cook for 2–3 minutes more until the onions turn pale golden-brown, stirring frequently.
- Sprinkle over the chilli powder and cook together for a few seconds longer.
- Stir in the tomatoes, chicken stock, tomato purée, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar and herbs.
- Pour over the wine, or some water if you’re not using wine, and bring to a simmer.
- Add the sausages and bacon into the sauce and return to a simmer, then reduce the heat, cover the pan loosely with a lid and leave to simmer very gently for 20 minutes, stirring from time to time.
- Drain the beans and rinse them in a sieve under cold running water. Stir the beans into the casserole, and continue to cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is thick.
- Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper and serve. Enjoy.