I love the combination of pea and bacon, they complement each other so well. I love soya beans too as you don’t have to shell them. I thought edamame beans were a different variety but its not it is just the name when the soya beans are in the pod! Pesto also works well in the pea and bacon flavour combination. This is a satisfying spoonful with homely flavours and it would be great in a lunchbox too.
Ingredients (serves 2)
For the pesto (double if you want extra)
- 25g walnuts
- 25g bag of basil leaves
- 15g pea shoot salad leaves
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 25g grated parmesan cheese
- 75ml olive oil
- juice 1/2 lemon
- pinch of salt and pepper
For the salad
- 100g soya bean (I used frozen and microwaved for 4 mins)
- rest of the pea shoot salad leaves
- 80g pack of smoked bacon or pancetta lardons
- 6 cherry tomatoes quartered
- grated parmesan to finish
- Make the pesto: Add all of the ingredients except the salt and pepper and oil into a food processor and give it a few blitz’s. Turn the processor speed on the lowest setting and add the olive oil in a steady stream. Taste and add salt and pepper if needed. (sometimes the parmesan is enough salt)
- Cook the pancetta for a few minutes until brown and slightly crispy. Put the soya beans, pancetta and tomatoes into a bowl. Stir in 3/4 of the pesto mixture and mix so everything is coated.
- To serve, share the pea shoots between 2 bowls or lunchboxes, top with pesto mixture, add an extra dollop of the leftover pesto and a sprinkling of parmesan.