This dish isn’t the prettiest, well I didn’t plate it very pretty I probably should of done a smear with the dip but I was so hungry I plated, took a picture and tucked straight in. As we have to keep fibre in our diet the quinoa and buckwheat packet is in our cupboard all the time. I got the avocado dip idea from another blog but after tasting it, I thought the original recipe was really sharp so I added the sun dried tomatoes to sweeten it up and it worked a treat. I love the crunchy patty with the smooth cool dip it works really well in one mouthful.
Ingredients (serves 2)
For the patties
- 80g quinoa and buckwheat mix, cooked to packet instructions
- 1 bunch of chard, stems removed
- 20g grated parmesan
- 2 slices of bread, whizzed into breadcrumbs (30g)
- 1 tbsp roasted garlic oil
- 1 tbsp chilli oil
- if you don’t have flavoured oil – 2 tbsp olive oil + 2 minced garlic cloves and 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 egg beaten
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tsp dried herbs ( I used herbs de provence)
- 1/2 tsp dijon mustard and maple syrup
- rapeseed oil for frying
For the avocado dip
- 1 large ripe avocado, peeled and de stoned
- 2 tablespoons tahini paste
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 4 sun dried tomatoes
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the patties
- Cook the quinoa mix to packet instructions. Bring a large pan of water to the boil, add the chard leaves and cook for 1 1/2minutes drain and rinse under cold water straight away to stop the cooking process.
- Add the oil, egg, lemon juice, herbs, mustard, maple syrup, (garlic and chilli flakes if using plain oil) and a crack of salt and pepper to a bowl, whisk to combine.
- Tip in the quinoa breadcrumbs and parmesan. Drain as much liquid that you can out of the chard and roughly chop. Add the chard to the rest of the ingredients and fold to combine.
- Once mixed, make patty shapes with your hands, I made 6 plus a small extra one. Place on a plate, cover with cling film and leave to set for 30 minutes in the fridge.
- Once ready to fry add a good drizzle of oil to a pan heat over a medium heat and fry patties for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden and crispy. Serve with the dip.
For the dip
- Add all of the ingredients to a food processor and blitz until smooth.