Mediterranean flavours and ingredients are so satisfying. This salad was easy to make and would be great in your work lunchbox. Every mouthful has a different flavour and you get some lovely little bursts of flavour in your mouth when you get a cranberry, caper or piece of preserved lemon. I only recently discovered jarred chargrilled artichoke hearts and I am hooked! It is so much hassle preparing your own fresh artichokes, like peas and puff pastry somethings are better to use already prepared for you.
Ingredients (serves 2)
For the salad
- small bag of pea shoots or salad leaves
- 6 ripe cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 8 chargrilled artichoke hearts, quartered
- 6 sun dried tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 100g cooked whole wheat pasta, (mine took 11 mins)
- small handful of dried cranberries or golden sultana’s
- parmesan shavings to finish
For the dressing
- 2 tbsp olive oil (add another 2 if you dont have flavoured oil)
- 1 tbsp black pepper olive oil (recipe here)
- 1 tbsp chilli oil (recipe here) or 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 2 tbsp drained capers
- 1/4 large preserved lemon, roughly chopped (recipe here)
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp lemon thyme, leaves only
- 1 tsp of honey or sugar (add a tad more if your lemon is tart)
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper (if your not using pepper oil)
- While the pasta is cooking add all of the dressing ingredients into a jar or bowl give it a good shake or whisk until combined. Taste and adjust the honey or sugar and salt to preferred taste.
- Put the cooked pasta into a bowl add the fresh and sun dried tomatoes. Add half of your dressing and mix to coat and combine.
- Divide the salad leaves between 2 bowls, add the pasta, artichoke hearts and cranberries. Spoon over a bit more of dressing making sure you get the capers and preserved lemon pieces. Finally shave over some parmesan and serve. Enjoy.