This dinner is so quick to make and has all the ingredients for delicious comfort food, a perfect mid week meal. It is also a one pan dish which keeps it simple and can be made in 15 minutes. Nowadays veal shouldn’t get a bad press at all in the UK, in fact it should be congratulated as usually bull cows are shot at birth at least if you buy veal you know the bull has breathed fresh air, eaten fresh grass and felt the sun on their skin. I love air dried ham and fried prosciutto is really addictive. With this dish I like to put a piece of everything on one forkful and savour the taste. Its meaty, crispy, earthy and saucy. We made sautee potatoes to go with our’s to make it more filling.
For the Veal Escalopes
- 4 slices Veal escaopes, very thin (bash if you need to)
- Flour for dredging
- 1 tbsp of butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 5 brown button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 slices of prosciutto di parma
- good splash vermouth
- 200ml chicken stock
- Salt and Pepper
For the Sauteed Potatoes
- 3-4 potatoes
- drizzle of olive oil, for frying
- Peel and quarter the potatoes, place in boiling water and simmer for around 10 minutes, so they are fim but not mushy, drain and cut into cubes. Heat a frying pan with a drizzle of olive and saute for around 20 minutes, stirring them until brown and golden.
10 minutes before the end of the sautee potoatoes, lightly coat the veal in seasoned flour, shake off any excess. Heat a tbsp of olive oil in a medium frying pan. Fry the veal escalopes on medium heat for a few minutes on each side until cooked through and golden brown. Set aside and cover with foil.
Add the mushrooms to the same pan adding a drizzle of oil and cook on medium heat for 3-5 minutes or until softened and golden in color. Remove and set aside. Add the prosciutto slices to the same heated pan and crisp on both sides. Remove, let cool slightly and crumble into pieces.
- Return the mushrooms and prosciutto to the pan with 1 tablespoon of butter and saute for 1-2 minutes on medium high heat, carefully add a splash of vermouth and chicken stock. Bring to a simmer. Return the veal scallopini to the pan. Simmer and coat the veal through the sauce for an additional 2 minutes and then serve.