I love the rolls and butter you get in restaurants when you first sit down. There is something special about a warm roll and cold real butter, it is so simple yet so satisfying. These rolls taste just like the restaurant rolls but they have a massive bonus they are made with whole wheat flour. This means there are no bleaches or chemicals in them like you get unfortunately with white flour or supermarket rolls. I served a couple of these with our cauliflower and broccoli soup, they were so yummy that I had to have another one with cold butter and I was not disappointed.
- 200ml + 2 tbsp hand warm water
- 7g packet of yeast (I used instant)
- 500g whole wheat flour (plus more for kneading)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp molasses (I had pomegranate)
- Mix the yeast and 2 tbsp warm water together in a small bowl, and let it sit for 5-10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix together 300g of flour and salt. Make a well in the center, and pour in the yeast mixture and remaining ingredients. Stir with a wooden spoon, adding up to another 200g of flour as necessary, until a dough forms and is only slightly sticky.
- Put the dough hook on your mixer and knead for 5 minutes. Add in more of the remaining flour until the dough is no longer sticky. It should bounce back when you press your finger into it.
- Shape the dough into a ball. Grease or oil a bowl, and place the dough inside, rolling it around to coat all of the sides with the oil. Cover the top with a clean towel, and set in a warm place to rise for 30-45 minutes until doubled in size.
- Grease or oil a baking sheet. On a clean, floured surface, punch the dough down until it’s approximately the same size as before it rose. Divide the dough into 12 equal balls, and place on the oiled baking sheet. Cover the top with the towel, and let the rolls rise in a warm place for 30 min or until doubled in size.
- While the rolls rise, preheat the oven to 190° (fan). Uncover the rolls, and bake for 25-30 min or until the tops are golden and the rolls sound hollow when tapped. Cool. Serve warm or cold.