This salad is so Autumnal. It is comforting, sweet, savoury and fulfilling with a lovely tangy dressing. I served ours for lunch warm and would also serve it for dinner, it would also be just as nice served cold or in your lunch box. I love all the different types of squashes that are available over the next few months, they come in all different shapes and sizes and carrots really enhance and compliment their flavours. This salad is well balanced, easy to make and perfect for this time of year.
For the roasted squash and carrots
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into batons
- 1 medium or 2 small acorn squash, cut into wedges
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
For the salad
- 1 small bag of salad leaves
- 1/4 pack of halloumi (6-8 slices)
For the dressing
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 tbsp of honey mustard (or 1/2 honey and 1/2 dijon)
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice (I used bottled)
- small pinch of salt
- Pre heat oven to 190 degrees (fan).
- Place the carrots and squash in a bowl, add the olive oil and a good crack of sea salt and pepper and stir well with your hands so the vegetables are coated. Place the vegetables on a baking tray and roast for 30 minutes, making sure to turn or shake the vegetables every 10 minutes. After the 30 minutes have finished brush each slice of vegetable with maple syrup and roast for another 10 minutes.
- While the squash and carrots are roasting, dry fry the halloumi for a couple of minutes on each side until browned, once cooked set aside on a plate with kitchen towel.
- To make the dressing add all the ingredients into a jar or bowl and shake or whisk well to combine.
- To serve the salad, divide the salad leaves between 2 bowls, add the roasted carrots, remove the skin from the squash and add to the salad bowl, top with torn halloumi and a drizzle of the dressing.
4 Comments Add yours
You are making me hungry! I love squash :). Or anything orange. YUM!
Thanks vinny it’s carrots and squash so loads of orange 👍🏻😺😋
LikeLiked by 1 person
You had me at Halloumi!
LikeLiked by 1 person
I know I think I may be addicted to it as my last few salad recipes involve halloumi 😹