So our treat lunch this weekend were our pate’s. In borough market there is artisan stall holder who sell’s a delicious mushroom pate called pate moi. I decided I wanted to try and make this myself at home. The outcome was delicious and dare I say it better than theirs. It is moist with a wonderful texture. Particularly delicious on my toasted homemade wholemeal bread.
- 150g of brown mushrooms, chopped
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- bunch of thyme (1 1/2 tbsp)
- 65g full fat soft cheese
- 20g butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp shoaxing rice wine or sherry
- Heat butter and oil in a large heavy-based frying pan over medium heat. Add the shallot and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until onion softens. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Increase heat to high. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, for 4 minutes or until tender. Add the shaoxing rice wine and thyme and cook for 1-2 minutes or until the liquid evaporates. Remove from heat and set aside for 10 minutes to cool.
- Transfer mixture to the bowl of a food processor. Add the cream cheese and process until smooth. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a sterilised jar or bowl. Place in fridge for 1-2 hours to set.
- Serve with toast, bread or crackers.