This recipe is delicious with any cheese, cured meat or on its own with fresh bread (recipe here). The original recipes I found didn’t have any fennel or cumin in them, after tasting we also added chilli flakes to give it a slight kick as we love bold flavours. I would definitely recommend giving this a go as it is so delicious.
- 1 Jar of sundried tomatoes, chopped and oil reserved
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 tbsp of fennel seeds, lightly toasted
- 1/2 tbsp of cumin seeds, lightly toasted
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp chilli olive oil (recipe here)
- 150ml chicken or vegetable stock
- 50ml red wine vinegar
- Place a medium saucepan over a medium heat. Add the chopped sun-dried tomatoes, 1 tablespoon of the reserved sun-dried tomato oil, chilli oil, shallot, and garlic. Stir and cook until the shallot is soft and beginning to brown at the edges, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the sugar, vinegar, water, stock, thyme, fennel, cumin, chilli flakes and seasoning (if required). Bring the liquid to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Remove the lid and continue simmering until most of the liquid is reduced and the mixture is the consistency of jam, about 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Once cooled spoon into sterilised jars or serve.