I have wanted to try and make our own pizza for ages, as it is one of the first recipes a lot of people start with on their cooking journey. On our first attempt we used passata for the tomato base and baked the pizza in the oven on greaseproof paper. After trying the first pizza we decided to invest in a pizza stone and make our own tomato sauce with fresh tomatoes. The result, Pizza number two win’s hand down. We couldn’t believe how sugary the tinned tomato base was and the sauce using the fresh tomatoes tasted so much fresher and lighter. The second thing we learned is you do get a soggy bottom without the stone, we ordered a cheap one to give it try and it was amazing we had a light crispy bottom, fresh sauce and of course lots of gooey cheese, we also had fun making them too. Paulie likes anchovies on his so we just put our own favourite toppings on, and the pizza dough freezes perfectly, our 2nd pizza used the frozen dough!
- 1 portion of pizza dough (recipe here)
- 1 portion of fresh tomato pizza sauce (recipe here)
- your favourite cheese such as mozzarella, cheddar, brie etc
- anything else you like to top your pizza with (salami, anchovies, mushrooms etc)
- a pizza stone
- Heat oven to 240C/fan 220C /gas 8. Heat Pizza stone according to instructions, this was our 1st time so we had to heat in hot oven for 1 hour.
- Roll out your pizza dough nice and thin.
- Place on heated pizza stone, top with a serving of tomato pizza sauce and your favourite toppings.
- Cook in oven for 15 minutes or until cheese has melted