In my office if there was a lunch meeting we used to get an outside caterer to provide it. There would be sandwiches and cakes and if there were some left over, the whole office got access. The coconut and jam slice got me off my chair, but our’s are a million times better than the caterers! I love the combination of the crunchy coconut topping, oozing jam and buttery biscuit. They are so addictive, I still had one once they got to the right cooling temperature even though I had been picking bits and eating them from the edges as soon as it was out of the oven. Paulie also loves them and said this is a keeper recipe. I will be honest, it was a joint effort and Paulie did help me a couple of times in the kitchen, so this is a definite joint Spauly special. If you are going to make one sweet thing this week please make and try these!
- 90g butter, at room temperature
- 110g caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 50g self-raising flour
- 100g plain flour
- half a jar of strawberry jam
- 2 eggs
- 75g golden caster sugar
- 160g desiccated coconut
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line base of a 20cm x 30cm tray with baking paper and grease.
- In a small bowl cream butter then gradually beat in sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in an egg thoroughly and then fold in the 2 flours until combined.
- Spread the mixture into base of prepared pan, smoothing over the top as much as possible (I found a knife easier to use than a spactula).
- Spread over an even layer of jam.
- To make Topping, beat the 2 eggs lightly with a fork, then whisk in the sugar and coconut.
- Spread your topping over the jam as evenly as possible.
- Bake for about 45 minutes. Do check the topping whilst baking if it starts going too brown, cover with foil for the remaining baking time.
- Remove from oven and leave to cool in pan. Cut into fingers when thoroughly cooled.