If I buy a sandwich from the supermarket I always go for the pastrami deli, smoked salmon and cream cheese or egg mayo. My butcher made his own salt beef ready for boiling at Christmas time. We had it at crimbo but as it was a big bit I put half of the cooked meat in the freezer. I found it the other day and thought I must use it up, I also made some sauerkraut which was ready and fermented enough so I thought great perfect ingredients for making a Rueben sandwich. This was delicious and it worked so well pimping up the Mayo.
Ingredients (serves 2)
For the spiced mayo
- 3 tbsp light mayo
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- 1 tsp sriracha sauce (Tabasco or chilli powder would work)
- Few dashes of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
For the sandwich
- 6 slices of rye bread (mine we’re smallish)
- 6 heaped tbsp of sauerkraut
- 6 slices of salt beef or pastrami
- 12 pieces of semi hard cheese ( I used goats cheese but guyere works)
- 2 handfuls of rocket
- 6 gherkins, sliced lengthwise
- Heat a grill to hot
- Make the mayo by adding all the ingredients into a bowl and stirring to combine. Set aside.
- Place the bread slices on a baking tray and toast one side completely. Turn and lightly toast the other.
- With the lightly toasted side facing up start assembling the layers. First spread on a layer of mayo on each slice, next add 1 heaped tbsp of sauerkraut and spread it out. Add the beef slices and finish off with the cheese. Place back under the grill to warm through, the cheese should be bubbling.
- To serve, add some rocket to 2 serving plates, top with the sliced gherkins add the Rueben’s. Enjoy 😊
2 Comments Add yours
Looks delicious! Nothing beats a good Reuben sandwich.
Thanks Colleen, they are yummy 😋