I love crispy American bacon and decided I wanted to try and recreate it myself. On this attempt I used the wire rack oven method and it worked really well. I know it’s spring when the wild garlic appears. I’ve made a few things with it this year but I do love the faithful pesto which works well with the BLT flavours.
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 6 slices of smoked streaky bacon
- Cherry Tomatoes on the vine
- 4 new potatoes, boiled for 15 minutes or until soft
- Couple of spoonfuls of wild garlic pesto (recipe here)
- Little gem lettuce
- Cracked black pepper and sea salt
- Pre heat oven to 200 degrees fan. On a cooling or grill rack lay out the bacon and make sure they aren’t touching. Also place the the tomatoes on the rack. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes. Remove the tomatoes and pat dry the bacon with kitchen paper. Bake for another 6-8 minutes or until the fat is golden. Set aside to cool and drain on kitchen paper.
- Quarter the potatoes and place in a bowl. Take the tomatoes off the vine and add to the potatoes season with fresh pepper and sea salt to taste. Mix with a fork so you burst the tomatoes and their juice dresses the potatoes.
- To serve – chop the lettuce and share between 2 serving bowls. Add the potato and tomatoes. Drizzle over the pesto and top with the crispy bacon. Enjoy.