So hubby bought a load of reduced Parma ham and I had taken a chicken breast out of the freezer for lunch. I looked in the fridge and we had a small chunk of goats cheese. In the summer we have this chicken on top of Courgettes and tomatoes so as the weather has been more wintery I decided to use lentils. Chicken and lentils go great with mustard so to finish it off I made the mustard dressing. The result was amazing we had ours in our lunch boxes but you could easily have this for dinner. The crispy ham, moist chicken and flavoursome cheese mixed with earthy lentils flavoured with the cooking juices, fresh peppery rocket leaves all finished off with a mustard dressing. It was so yummy and I can’t wait to have it again.
Ingredients (serves 2 as a lunch)
for the chicken
- 1 large skinless and boneless chicken breast
- 4 slices of Parma ham
- 8 small sage leaves
- 20g cheese, sliced (I used hard goats cheese)
For the lentil salad
- 100g put lentils
- 1/2 stock cube, I used chicken (optional)
- Small bag rocket leaves
- Handful of walnuts, toasted
For the mustard dressing
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tsp runny honey
- 1 tbsp whole grain mustard
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Pre heat oven to 200 degrees fan. Lay out the Parma ham in a row slightly over lapping. Place the sage leaves on top. Add the chicken breast, If you don’t already have a bit of the breast to fold over, make a cut halfway through and open up. Lay the sliced cheese on top and close the chicken back up. Pull over one side of the Parma ham then roll over the other side. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes. Place a piece of foil over the chicken and leave to rest.
- While the chicken rests, rinse the lentils and add to a saucepan, cover with 2 times the amount of water. Sprinkle in the stock cube, bring to the boil then simmer for 20 minutes until all the water has evaporated. Rinse off the mud then return the lentils to the pan and set aside.
- Make the dressing by adding all of the ingredients into a jar or bowl, shake or whisk well to combine.
- To assemble the salad, share the rocket leaves between 2 serving dishes. Remove the chicken from roasting dish onto a chopping board and slice. Tip the juices from the roasting pan and chopping board to the lentils, give it stir, taste and season if needed. Spoon the lentils over the rocket, add the sliced chicken and toasted walnuts. Finish by drizzling over the dressing. Enjoy.