These sweet lightly pickled onions add so much flavour to salads. They also add a lovely sharpness to dishes that need a little oomph of flavour. They are really easy to make, ready to eat within and 24 hours and keep in the store cupboard for at least a month. They are quite moorish once you have tried them in salads, My favourite is to pair them with sweet and salty ingredients like feta and broad beans.
Ingredients (makes one jar)
- 2 red onions, peeled
- 1 large garlic bulb, peeled
- 200ml white wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp caster sugar, I use golden
- 1 1/2 tbsp sea salt
- 10 black peppercorns
- 20 coriander seeds
- 100ml water
- Start by slicing the red onion as thinly as possible. Set aside in a bowl. Slice the garlic clove and add to onions.
- Add the rest of the ingredients into a saucepan and heat over a medium heat until the sugar and salt dissolves.
- Pour over the onions and weight them down with a plate or owl so fully submerged. Leave overnight.
- Sterilise a jar and tip the pickled onions and liquor into it. Use as required. Enjoy.