I’m really enjoying experimenting with my salads at the moment. I’m trying to get more turmeric into our food and this is a good way of doing it. This salad as really middle eastern flavours with the feta, walnuts and dressing. This is one of those salads that has lots of gems in every mouthful and I always find roasting vegetables adds a completely different flavour and makes a salad much more exciting. I had mine in my lunch box which worked really well too.
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped diagonally
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- pinch of salt
- 1 can chickpeas, drained
- 8 frozen aubergine slices, (optional)
- 1 small bag rocket leaves
- small handful of walnuts, roughly chopped
- 100g feta, cubed
- 1 tbsp dried cranberries or goji berries
For the dressing
- 1 1/2 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- juice of 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees (fan).
- Place the sliced carrots into a small bowl add in the turmeric, cumin seeds and salt. Mix to coat all over, you may want to wear a glove as turmeric can dye your hands and nails.
- Place the coated carrots on a baking tray with the aubergine (if using) and bake in the oven for 20 – 30 minutes until softened. Set aside. (I also baked some of the chickpeas so I had a crunchy topping)
- Make the dressing by adding all of the ingredients to a jar or bowl shake well or whisk to combine.
- Assemble the salad by adding the rest of the salad ingredients into a bowl, add the cooked carrots and aubergine and top with the dressing. Enjoy.