There is something comforting about succulent roast chicken in a salad with the creaminess of avocado. I came across brining from someone else’s blog and it works so well keeping the chicken moist and juicy. Another favourite combo for me is honey and mustard, as it makes a lovely dressing and the honey caramelises the outside of the chicken while it is being roasted. Homemade croutons are so easy to make and add a lovely texture. This salad would be good with left over chicken or turkey too and of course it uses up stale bread.
Ingredients (serves 2)
For the marinade and dressing
- 3 tbsp runny honey
- 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- pinch of salt
For the chicken
- 1 large or 2 small chicken breast
- 2 tbsp salt
- half the dressing
For the croutons
- 2 thick slices of stale bread, roughly cut into chunks
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp finely grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp dried rosemary or 1 tbsp of fresh
- 1/2 tsp of sea salt
For the salad
- small bag of salad leaves
- 6 ripe cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, stoned and sliced (last minute)
- Start by brining the chicken. Add the salt to a bowl and fill with warm water. Stir to dissolve and add the chicken making sure it is fully submerged, leave for 15 minutes. While the chicken is brining add all the dressing ingredients into a jar or bowl and give it a good shake or whisk to combine. Once the chicken is finished brining rinse under a cold tap. Place the chicken in a clean bowl and tip over half dressing. Rub all over and leave in fridge for at least 30 minutes or longer.
- Heat the oven to 180 degrees (fan) place the marinated chicken breast on an oven tray and set the timer for 10 minutes. While the chicken is roasting make the crouton’s by adding the chunks of bread to a bowl, pour over the olive oil, rosemary, parmesan and salt. Stir lightly with your hands to coat the bread chunks.
- When the timer for the chicken goes off remove tray from oven and increase oven temperature to 200 degrees. Add the coated chunks of bread onto the tray with the chicken and bake for a further 10 minute until chicken and bread is golden and crispy.
- To assemble the salad, share the salad leaves between 2 bowls or lunch boxes. Top with the tomatoes and avocado. Slice the chicken and add to the bowl. Drizzle over the rest of the marinade/dressing and top with the crunchy croutons. Enjoy.