This is a great lunch box recipe. The flavours taste middle eastern and it is really filling. I love tahini and it is nice to have it in someting other than hummus. You get pepper notes from the rocket, nuttiness from the chickpea’s, Bulgar and Quinoa, sweetness from the tomato and sultana’s and it is all lifted by the coriander and citrusy and sesame dressing.
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- juice of a lemon
- 1 garlic, peeled and minced
- ½ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- pinch of salt
- small bag of rocket leaves
- small handful sultana’s
- 1/4 preserved lemon, roughly chopped (recipe here)
- 1 small bunch coriander, roughly chopped
- 1 can chickpeas
- 60g uncooked bulgur wheat with red and white quinoa (waitrose)
- 1 plum tomato , roughly chopped
- To make the dressing, add all the ingredients to a jar or bowl give it a good shake or whisk to combine. Refrigerate the dressing until ready to use.
- To cook the bulgur and quinoa, place the dry mix in a small sauce pan. Cook and stir the dry mixture (without water or oil) over medium heat for two minutes to toast it slightly. Add 1/2 litre of water and bring the mixture up to a boil. Add a lid to the pot, turn the heat down to low, and let it simmer for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, fluff the bulgur and transfer it to the refrigerator without a lid to cool.
- Place the chopped tomato, rocket and coriander into a bowl
- Rinse and drain the chickpeas, then add them to the bowl. Finally, add the cooled bulgur mixture, preserved lemon and sultana’s to the bowl and stir to combine the ingredients. Add a liberal amount of the tahini dressing and stir until everything is well coated. Serve in bowls with an extra drizzle of the dressing.