This was so tasty and made a nice change from a fry up. I tried to make polenta before by adding loads of butter and parmesan, I honestly didn’t think it was worth the calories. This version however was really delicious. The crispy outside and fluffy center tasted really yummy, the spices added a warm tone but not too strong. It worked perfectly with the crispy black pudding and soft tomatoes. I love brown sauce on my breakfast so I had to make a brown sauce dressing to finish it off.
Ingredients (serves 2)
For the polenta cakes
- 1 banana shallot, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 chesnut mushrooms, finely chopped
- 2 tsp finely chopped rosemary
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp chilli flakes
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 150g polenta
- 300ml vegetable stock
- 50ml skimmed milk
- 3 tbsp parmesan cheese, grated
- drizzle of oil for frying (I like groundnut)
For the balsamic roasted tomatoes
- 8 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 tsp golden caster sugar
- pinch of salt
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp olive oil
For the dressing
- 1 tbsp HP brown sauce
- 1/2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp tamarind paste
- 1/2 tsp honey
- splash of water
For the salad
- small bag of salad leaves
- 6 morcilla black pudding sausages
- Heat the oven to 200 degrees fan.
- Place the tomatoes with all the ingredients into a baking tray and bake for 20 minutes.
- Next make the polenta cakes. Heat a drizzle of oil in a saucepan over a medium heat until hot. Add the spring onions and shallots and cook stirring frequently until translucent (about 4-5 mins).
- Add the mushrooms, garlic, rosemary, cayenne pepper and chilli flakes and cook for a further few minutes. Set aside off the heat.
- Heat the stock in a pan until boiling, add the polenta and salt, whisking well so there are no lumps. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for a few minutes. Add the milk and again whisk well to combine. once thickened add in the vegetables and stir to combine.
- Pour the mixture into a greased small baking dish, smooth it out evenly and place in the fridge while you finish off the salad.
- Heat a small frying pan over a medium heat, add the black pudding and cook for about 5 mins turning so it goes dark on both sides. Drain on some kitchen paper.
- Make the dressing by adding all the ingredients into a jar or bowl, shake or whisk to combine. set aside.
- Take the set polenta out of the fridge and cut into triangles. Heat a good drizzle of oil in a small saucepan until hot. Fry the polenta on all sides until golden brown make took about 5 mins in total.
- To serve – Add the salad leaves between 2 bowls. Top with a polenta triangle, sprinkle around the tomatoes and black pudding. Finish off with the dressing.