I love it when the jersey royals come into season as it means we are well on our way into spring. They do have a delicious flavour and I think the muddy ones seem to taste better. The mustard and salmon compliment them so well and you get little bursts of flavour and crunch from the cornichons, capers and preserved lemon.
Ingredients (serves 2)
For the Potatoes
- 8 jersey royals
- 10 cornichons, sliced
- 2 tbsp capers, drained
- 1/4 preserved lemon, roughly chopped
- zest of 1/2 lemon and juice from whole lemon
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp grain mustard
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp honey
- pinch of salt
For the salad
- 125g pack of smoked salmon, I like H Forman and Sons
- Small bag of rocket leaves
- Scrub the mud off the jersey royals. Bring a pan of water to the boil and simmer the jersey royals for 20 minutes or until cooked through (soft when pricked with a fork)
- To make the dressing in an empty jar add the zest and juice of the lemon, olive oil, vinegar, mustards, honey and salt and shake well to combine, set aside.
- Once the jersey royals are cooked and have cooled chop them into quarters and add to a bowl. Add the capers, cornichons and preserved lemon. Give the dressing a quick shake and pour over the potato mixture. Toss to coat the potatoes all over.
- Assemble the salad by adding the rocket between 2 serving bowls, top with potato mixture and tuck in pieces of the salmon. Enjoy.
One Comment Add yours
Such a delicious recipe, salad so rich in flavour 🙂