Fancy something special for the weekend? Look no further. I really enjoy using crab and I love any topping on sourdough toast. The spices really enhance the crab flavour and it isn’t too rich as there is no cream. This makes for a nice lunch, supper or starter.
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 1 whole dressed crab
- 100g butter, softened to room temperature
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/4 tsp celery powder
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tsp worcester sauce
- juice and zest of 1 lemon
- few parsley leaves
- fresh pepper and sea salt to taste
- In a pestle and mortar grind the fennel seeds to produce a powder. Add the fennel, celery and chilli powder. Add half the softened butter and lemon zest and stir to combine.
- In a large bowl combine your spiced butter, lemon juice, worcester sauce and the nutmeg, then mix in your crabmeat making sure there is no shell. Mix thoroughly and season to taste.
- Get your pot/s ready that you are going to use for your crab and fill it with the mixture. Flatten the crab and smooth the surface with a spoon.
- Melt the remaining half butter, add the parsley leaves, and pour it on the crab. Put it in the fridge to set and serve with toasted sourdough.