Lamb roast has to be one of my favourite dinners, but I don’t like the leftovers cold and I hate wasting food. I also like a parmigiana and thought lamb goes really well with aubergine. This recipe is really yummy and great way to use up leftovers.
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- Portion of leftover lamb
- 3 tbsp fresh oregano or basil, chopped
- 1 large aubergine, finely sliced
- 85g Parmesan, finely grated
- 50g Panko breadcrumbs
- Olive oil
- Sea salt and black pepper
- If you can, salt the aubergine slices place in colander and weigh down with something heavy and leave for an hour.
- Pre heat oven to 180 degrees fan.
- Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a frying pan over a medium heat, add the onions and pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes stirring occasionally or until they have softened. Add the dried herbs and garlic, cook for another minute until the garlic is fragrant. Add the chopped tomatoes and shred in the lamb. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 20 minutes. Once finished stir in 2 tbsp of the fresh herbs, season to taste
- While the tomato mixture is simmering heat a griddle pan over a high heat. Spray or brush with oil. Add the sliced aubergine and griddle on each side for a few minutes I liked to cross cross mine. Set aside on kitchen paper and continue until all slices have been cooked.
- In a bowl add a sprinkle of Parmesan, the other tbsp of herbs and breadcrumbs. Add a tbsp of olive oil and mix with you hands to coat.
- To assemble the bake, place a layer of the griddled aubergine slices, spoon over the lamb and tomato mixture. Add a layer of Parmesan and repeat until you have nothing left.
- Finish off by adding a layer of breadcrumbs, bake in the oven for 40 minutes or until the top is golden and the tomato is bubbling. Enjoy.